Thank you for considering Lough Gur as a destination to explore. Not only is Lough Gur a scenic lakeshore public park location, we also have a Visitor Centre and interpretative exhibition on site with a lakeview playground and welcome point kiosk serving fresh barista woodland coffee. The surrounding area is famous for its rich archaeological and environmentally wealthy attributes. Significant archaeological monuments include:
- The Great Grange Stone Circle. Ireland’s oldest and largest stone circle
- Carraig Áille Stone Forts
- Lough Gur Wedge Tomb
- Teampall Nua
- Spectacles Field Systems
Visitors can book a guided tour with the Lough Gur community tour guides by emailing email@example.com or booking direct online. Outdoor tours usually last between 2 to 3 hours. Exhibition tours at the Visitor Centre take 15 to 40 minutes.
As the only natural lake of significance in Limerick, outdoor recreation activities on the water can be booked directly with Kilfinane Outdoor Recreation.
Additional information for visitors that may be of interest:
- Baby changing units available in the Visitor Centre and entrance point public facilities
- Short walking trails at ground levels take 20 minutes to complete
- There is a 110 step trail to a viewing point that is for people with a good fitness level
- Dogs are permitted within the public park areas on leads only. Please help to maintain the Leave No Trace policy of the park areas by remembering to carry a bag to clean up after your dog.
- It is not possible to walk all the way around the lake as the lake boarders private working farms.
- The Great Grange Stone Circle is located 4kms by driving from the lakefront.
- Food is available from Reardon’s Bar located 2kms from the lakefront.
- The Visitor Centre is wheelchair accessible.
- The park areas are open all year round.
- The Visitor Centre, Playground and Kiosk open 10am to 4pm seven days a week from October to February and from 10am to 6pm from March to September. Please check our Facebook page for up to date opening times in the event we have to close for maintenance or private events.